Labels

Sunday 26 May 2013

Low GI Montignac Pasta with Vegetables and Bean Sauce

I was supposed to go to the Foodie Festival in Hampton Court today but I woke up feeling sick and since my stomach pains wont let me get out of the house today I decided to have my own "festival" at home :) .

Because its Vegan Sunday and I just got back from Italy I thought a pasta dish will be just perfect. While in Amalfi we've been served one day some pasta with a very simple cannellini beans sauce. Obviously I could not eat the pasta cos of its high GI but  did taste the sauce which was delicious and I said I will be trying it at home with my low GI pasta. I adapted that with what i had in the fridge and the result was fantastic.

Lets start with the beginning :) the low GI pasta I use I got it from the Montignac shop and I know it is a bit pricey but I cant recommend it enough. They are very low in carbs and because it's  low GI can be eaten with fat (meat) as well.

For the recipe you will need :

  • 50-75 gr Montignac spagetti boiled al dente for 5-6 min
  • 1 tin of cannelini beans 
  • a handfull of green beans
  • 4 asparagus spears cut into 2 inches chunks 
  • 3 tbsp grean peas 
  • 5 italian sun dried tomatoes roughly chopped and soaked in 1/2 cup of hot water 
  • 1 big broccoli and 1 big cauliflower floret 
  • 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and some more for drizzling 
  • 2 garlic cloves 
  • salt and pepper to taste 
In a small sauce pan boil the vegetables for a few minutes until cooked but still firm. Boil the pasta as well in hot water with salt and a splash of olive oil .

While the pasta and vegetable are cooking in a big pan heat the olive oil and add the chopped garlic. Cook for 2 min on medium heat so the garlic can release the flavours into the oil. Add the beans and with a wooden spoon mash some. Add the soaked tomatoes and the water they've been in to the pan and turn the heat to low.

At this point you can add some water from the pasta to make the sauce more fluid. When the sauce starts bubbling  add the vegetables and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 2 minutes on low heat, add the pasta and stir well. Serve warm with a drizzle of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment